Veggies and Annuals
- Put a handful of Central Iowa Organic Fertilizer Worm Castings in the bottom of the plant hole.
- Put plant roots or seed directly on top of the castings.
- Apply another handful of castings at the base of the plant stem every two months.
- For furrow planting-put about a half inch along the furrow.
- Place seeds directly on top of the castings.
- Fill with soil.
- Re-apply a handful per running foot every two months.
- Work a handful of castings into the soil avoiding damage to the roots close to the surface.
- Apply three times a year, i.e. early spring, summer, and fall.
Potted Plants and Seeds/Seed Flats
- If new: mix castings and soil in a 1 to 3 ratio.
- If Established: put a couple of handfuls of castings to the top of the soil. Work in avoiding damage to the roots close to the surface. Water and repeat as needed.
Roses, Trees, Scrubs and Berries
- Mix castings and soil at a 1 to 3 ratio.
- Line hole with about 1 to 2 inches of castings.
- Place roots directly over casings and cover with the 1 to 3 ratio.
- Work in eight handfuls of castings into soil about 2”- 3” inches deep for each plant.
- If new: Spread 10 pounds per 100 square feet. Apply grass seed and water thoroughly (don’t make mud!).
- If Established: Top dress at 10 pounds per 100 square feet.
- Soak, for 24 to 48 hours, a mixture of castings and water at a 1 to 3 ratio.
- Stir well during the process.
- Use the castings tea to water.
- This mixture can be applied directly to the leaves of the plant and/or the soil.
- Spread a thin layer of castings between composting layers